Trinidadian travel agents cautious about Air Jamaica deal

Another group in Trinidad and Tobago is expressing reservation about the Caribbean Airlines/Air Jamaica deal.

The Travel Agents Association (TAA) based in the twin island republic believes the takeover is not a good one, despite a statement to the contrary by Finance Minister, Winston Dookeran.

President of the TAA, Wayne Rodriguez, says the Air Jamaica routes which were sold to Caribbean Airlines are not profitable and deemed to be high risk due to intense competition.         

Mr. Rodriguez adds that competition will further increase with Jamaica’s open skies agreement.

He has called for the report and findings of the committee which reviewed the Caribbean Airlines/Air Jamaica deal to be made public.

And Caribbean Airlines has responded to Mr. Rodriguez's concerns stating that while there are challenges ahead due to the state of the global airline industry it made the right choice in entering the deal with Air Jamaica.

In a statement, the airline said it had taken over mature routes which would have taken considerable effort to develop and has increased its customer base.

Under the deal entered into in May, Caribbean Airlines will control 84% ownership of Air Jamaica, with the Jamaican Government keeping the remaining 16%.

Trinidadian Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar recently announced that the Air Jamaica name will remain despite the takeover.




comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
JTA concerned after CSEC student tests...
Another COVID-19 death, 29 new cases reported
Reggae Boy Lowe looks set to play in Italian...