Advertisement

The worst yet to come in COVID-19 pandemic, WHO warns

Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus and WHO emergencies expert Mike Ryan
 
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned the world that the worst is yet to come in the COVID-19 pandemic.
 
WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus said the virus will infect many more people if governments do not start to implement the right policies.
 
At a media briefing Monday, he reiterated his message of testing, tracing, isolation and quarantine.
 
Dr. Ghebreyesus acknowledged that "many countries have implemented unprecedented measures to suppress transmission and save lives." However, he said, while these measures have been successful in slowing the spread of the virus, they have not been able to completely stop its spread, and so some countries are seeing a resurgence. 
 
"Most people remain susceptible. The virus still has a lot of room to move. We all want this to be over. We all want to get to on with our lives. But the hard reality is this is not even close to being over," he lamented. 
 
More than 10 million cases of the coronavirus have been recorded worldwide since it emerged in China late last year. 
 
The number of patients who died is now above 500,000.
 
Half the world's cases have been in the US and Europe but COVID-19 is rapidly growing in the Americas.
 
The virus is also affecting South Asia and Africa, where it is not expected to peak until the end of July.
 
World Health Organisation emergencies expert Mike Ryan said countries will have to continue relying on contract tracing to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus.
 


comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
No local 'Me Too' movement: 12-month cap...