Advertisement

World Athletics president says Coleman should not expect any "deal" for whereabouts rule violation

World Athletics president Sebastian Coe has warned American sprinter Christian Coleman, who has been provisionally suspended for an anti-doping violation, that he will not be given a special deal to allow him to compete at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

World 100 metres champion coleman was provisionally suspended by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) earlier this month, following three whereabouts failures in 12 months.

He is now facing a two-year ban, which would make him ineligible for the Games, which have been postponed until 2021 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Coleman was controversially cleared to race last year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) when it dropped another case concerning whereabouts failures just weeks before the 2019 World Athletics Championships.

The American was set to go into Tokyo as one of the favourites, having been the fastest man in the world for the last three years.

Coleman previously claimed that a two-year ban would be "overkill" and hoped for "some sort of deal" where he could be suspended, but return for the Olympics.

While stressing that the AIU, does not work in that manner and that special treatment would not be possible, Coe did not mention Coleman by name, but said he was surprised that anyone who had missed two tests was not more careful.

Three missed tests in a 12-month period constitutes an anti-doping violation.

Coleman missed tests on June 6, 2018 and January 16 and April 26 of 2019, but successfully argued that the 2018 case, owing to a filing error, should be pushed back to the first day of the quarter, April 1, and subsequently be out of the year-long window, to escape a ban last year.

However, he is now accused of another whereabouts failure in December 2019.

 

 



comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
Councillor berates security forces for...