Advertisement

Transport group leaders optimistic after talks to address some issues

Egeton Newman, President of the Transport Operators Development Sustainable Services (TODSS)
By Nakinskie Robinson    
 
Public transport sector leaders say they are in high spirits following Thursday's meeting with the Transport Operators Steering Committee.
 
The meeting came a week after sector members decided to defer the 16 per cent fare increase that should have taken effect on April 1.
 
Egeton Newman, President of the Transport Operators Development Sustainable Services (TODSS), told Radio Jamaica News that Committee officials developed mid and long term solutions to resolve low-hanging fruits that have peeved transport operators. 
 
"Operators can know and breathe a sigh of relief that some of their issues have been addressed. And the major one that we have looked at yesterday is a matter of yellow lines where the curve walls are painted yellow all over the KMTR, outside of the KMTR, and the authorities have deemed that illegal to be giving tickets on yellow lines because those yellow lines are not gazetted. So...a motor vehicle can stop at a yellow line once there is no sign saying no parking," he said, adding that the issue of more parking facilities in and outside of the Kingston Metropolitan Region was discussed. 
 
Members also lobbied for a vehicle concession to help operators replenish vehicles in deteriorating conditions.
 
Additionally, Mr. Newman said members discussed an increase in the $200 million government loan earmarked for public passenger vehicle operators, to $500 million.
 
Thousands of bus and taxi operators could not benefit after microfinance institutions proposed several loan requirements, including interest rates ranging from 7 to 13 per cent that were reportedly beyond their reach.
 
Mr. Newman said if inflation remains in the single digits, some of the issues are expected to be addressed by November.
 
The TODSS president said there was no clear timeline given for phase two of the fare increase, but if inflation is kept under control, he hopes the increase can be announced by next year. 
 
Transport Minister Daryl Vaz last year announced a two-part 35 per cent fare increase.
 
The first phase of 19 per cent took effect last October.
 
The next 16 per cent was due to be implemented April 1 before it was deferred. 
 


comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
Antigua and Barbuda moves to arm police...
Four year-old boy dies at Puerto Seco Beach