Advertisement

Jean-Ann Panton further remanded until September 20

By Racquel Porter
 
 
Jean-Ann Panton, the lone accused in the multibillion-dollar fraud investigation at Stocks & Securities Limited (SSL), was further remanded on Monday, until September 20.
 
The former SSL client relationship manager is facing a 22-count indictment, charging her with forgery, larceny as a servant, and engaging in a transaction involving criminal property.
 
According to a signed statement made to SSL, dated January 7, 2023, Miss Panton admitted that she "used various mechanisms to take money from clients".
 
The statement added that she "created false statements to provide to the clients reflecting what they should have in their accounts and not the sum they actually had in their accounts".
 
She added that she took the money "over the course of several years".
 
The statement, which was part of an internal SSL investigation, named 39 clients whose accounts had a total value of over J$700 million.
 
Miss Panton said she took approximately 20 per cent of that sum, in addition to another $109 million.
 
An account in the name of Welljen Limited, a holding company owned by sports great Usain Bolt, was not mentioned on the list, and SSL said in a subsequent statement that it was unaware that the portfolio had been affected.
 
The retired 100m world record holder opened an account at SSL in the name of his holding company, Welljen, in 2012.
 
 
 
                     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
Calabar threatens to withdraw from Champs